Hendry Update

In the midst of the Winter Meetings in Florida, Cubs general manager Jim Hendry was admitted to a nearby Orlando hospital late Wednesday, where he underwent an angioplasty.

Hendry was released from the hospital late Friday evening and was in good spirits following a two-day stay there.

"He's doing great," said Hendry's right hand man in the Cubs' farm system, Director of Player Development Oneri Fleita. "He's following the doctors orders. He's been asked to get some walking in every day and follow a strict diet. His spirits are up and he's back working hard."

Hendry arrived at the Meetings earlier this week and showed noticeable signs of paleness, according to Cubs Scouting Director Tim Wilken and other top club officials, including manager Lou Piniella, who reportedly escorted Hendry to the hospital.

The Cubs' general manager finished off a deal for free agent left-hander Ted Lilly from the hospital. Lilly inked a four-year, $40 million contract with the Cubs on Wednesday, pending a physical.

"He looked a little pale and then got a little paler than what you normally see from Jim," Wilken said. "He tried to hide it pretty good. I didn't totally detect it right away, but it became a little evident that he wasn't feeling well and that there was a lot of anxiety. It was probably a culmination of some of the stuff he's had to deal these past few months."

Hendry has been one of the busiest GM's over the past several months. It started with the search for a new manager after the Cubs chose not to bring back Dusty Baker. Hendry hired Piniella in mid-October.

He later signed third baseman Aramis Ramirez to a new five-year, $75 million contract and brought in prized free agent Alfonso Soriano, signing him to an eight-year contract worth $136 million.

Hendry also presided over a trade that sent pitcher David Aardsma to the White Sox for left-hander Neal Cotts, and signed second baseman Mark DeRosa via free agency. Additionally, pitchers Kerry Wood and Wade Miller and catcher Henry Blanco were re-signed.

"With all the hectic pace we've had in the past two months, there was a lot of stressful stuff that went on," Wilken said. "From Andy (MacPhail)'s resignation, to Dusty not being re-hired, to John (McDonough) coming in and then having to get Lou, plus all the trades and free agency and getting bombarded with agents calling, it's been a hectic time for him."

NorthsidersReport.com Recommended Stories

  • Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…

  • Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.

  • Here’s a way to watch football and improve your golf swing at the same time. In your living room (or on the range), practice the one-minute golf swing, as shown in this video. Set the timer on your…

  • Dr. Roto, like many others, can't believe Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson (pictured above) passed for over 300 yards and rushed for over 100 yards in the same game. First time that's ever happened…

  • As soon as those winds fall off, get into the stand! I always tell people you can't kill them if you aren't out, but if you want to try and pick an opportune time – this is it.

Up Next


41 Fans online
Join The Conversation